Electronic Lab Notebooks
Electronic Lab Notebooks (ELNs) are software solutions for the digital acquisition and management of research data. Ideally, the ELN supports the whole research process from the planning and implementation of experiments to the analysis of results.
ELNs are intended to replace classical lab notebooks in order to improve the searchability and accessibility of data as well as the sharing of results. Since the majority of research data is acquired in digital form, ELNs can help to prevent unnecessary media breaks.
On this website you can find information regarding the use of ELNs at Thuringian research institutes. Additionally, information about ELNs and events regarding this topic is provided.
- ELNs at the FSU and Thuringian research institutions
As an ELN, Chemotion is designed in particular for the needs of chemical research. It is further developed within the NFDI4Chem and will integrate various features of chemical subdisciplines. The FSU provides an own Chemotion ELN instance. For more information, please contact the local NFDI4Chem team.
The ELN Labfolder is used at the Institute of Microbiology at the Friedrich Schiller University of Jena. The ELN is used by staff in their daily laboratory work and also by students writing their theses. In addition, Labfolder, in combination with online materials on digital research data management, is also integrated into the microbiology practicals of Bachelor's and Master's students. Dr. Torsten Schubert (firstname.lastname@example.org) is available as contact person.
RSpace is established at the Leibniz Institute on Aging – Fritz Lipmann Institute (FLI) in Jena. The best practice example is also described in the second version of the ELN-Wegweiser (german) of the ZB Med. If you are interested and have any questions about RSpace, please feel free to contact Dr. Karol Szafranski at the FLI (email@example.com).
- Information material
- ELN guide, second version 2020 (ZB MED - Informationszentrum Lebenswissenschaften) (ger)
- ELN filter table from Publisso (ger)
- Information regarding ELNs on forschungsdaten.org (ger)
- non-binding list of electronic laboratory books (Fraunhofer IPA), (ger)
- How to pick an ELN (Kwok, 2018, Nature 560: 269-270)
- 2019 review of the best electronic laboratory notebooks (LabExplorer)
- Overview of specifications of ELNs (Harvard Biomedical Data Management)
- A pocket guide to electronic laboratory notebooks in the academic life sciences (Dirnagl & Przesdzing, 2016, F1000Research 5: 2)
- Probatice electronic lab notebook (BeLab) (ger)
- 1st Meeting of the working group regarding ELNs in North Rhine Westphalia (09.04.2019, Düsseldorf) (ger)
- Helmholtz Open Science Workshop regarding Electronic Lab Notebooks (13. - 14.09.2018, Braunschweig) (ger)
- ELN - Finder